Saturday, December 8, 2012

Dogs and the Call of the Wild!

 - several times I have intervened to save one animal from a carnivorous animal.


Just yesterday is was a goose taken down by our Bloodhound - for some reason the goose never took flight.  It was tackled and stared up at me and the hound in shock and disbelief no doubt - or perhaps it's life passed before it.  I grabbed my dog's collar cautiously, not wanting to invoke the territorial instinct around food - Gullah came away easily.  As the goose ran for a new lease on life - the dog was very difficult to contain.  But once the goose wabbled to the river and swam - I knew this dog would not dive in this cold to try again.


I've seen dogs in pursuit at all costs - but not this bloodhound - he had limitations including more respect for our land, less quick to go in for the kill, and comfort seemed to  be favored over goose liver.

No comments:

Post a Comment